Since When Was Fan Service Bad? - Star Wars Episode IX

#StarWars #RiseOfSkywalker

Although those who read this probably have already seen the movie, I'm gonna attempt at keeping this spoiler-free for the sake of those who haven't! 


 I've noticed the biggest complaint about The Rise Of Skywalker is that it relies too heavily on fan service, and I'm not gonna say it didn't have lots and lots and lots of fan service, the whole movie is filled with it, with easter eggs at every corner, some big references, others small. We even had nods to the animated shows, the comics, and a video game...
But here's the thing...why is that bad? So maybe it distracted you from the plot once or twice, but otherwise, they all either helped propel the story further or were simply easter eggs. Basically what I'm trying to say is, why is fan service bad? I see no reason that this should be people's main criticism or criticism at all. If this were a random episode in the series like Episode 5 or episode 7, I would get it, it would be a little too stuffed. but this is the end of not just a trilogy, but the end of a 9 film saga!
It's been building to this conclusion for 42 years (Technically not, but you get the point) it's job is to tie all three trilogies together, as well as wrap up points it introduces in this movie. In other words, the movie would feel empty without fan service. Take Avengers: Endgame for instance, what was one of the reasons it was such a fantastic movie? It had callbacks to previous installments in the franchise, and it used fan service to wrap up the 23 movie Saga...I didn't see too many people complain, because IT MAKES SENSE! 
The whole reason it's called fan service is that it's servicing the fans, it's things they wanted to see happen...finally happen! To criticize an ending movie for a saga for utilizing items introduced in previous installments of the said saga, some used to tie up unresolved plot points is pure nonsense! I see no reason that fan service CAN'T and SHOULDN'T be utilized! I mean am I missing something here? 
Why should fan service be a complaint? It's FAN service if you don't like it, chances are...you're not a fan, in which case, what authority do you have to be critiquing the movie? I used Rise Of Skywalker as the prime example here, but this really could apply to anything, but specifically Finales. 

My point being, stop trashing the film for fan service, it's a conclusion to an epic saga, it SHOULD include plenty of fan service.


 I have Spoken!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome To My Official Website!